Tuesday 14 July 2009

When the design is not user centerred...

I have to admit, I generally love Google's products. I am however often not impressed by their way of handling customer requests or the whole customer experience thing for that matter.

The last deception for me is this feature that now allows to do an undo after sending an email. I can relate to this feature because I have requested the ability for my sent email to sit in my outbox for some time (like you can do in Outlook for example).

From the point of view of listening to their customers they do well, it is easy to submit feature request or bugs.

But when I enabled this Labs feature I was up for a major deception. It was clear that they got it all wrong. In this case, the code mechanic and feature works:
  1. I can effectively undo a send email
  2. I can personalize (minimally: 5 or 30 seconds) the time is stays in my outbox.
Where it fails miserably is how the user interaction is done. It is so poor that the working feature is more or less useless.

When sending, I have to click on the "undo" link at the top of the screen but this is only there until I do another action. Since after hitting send I always do something else (I am not waiting 30 seconds staring at my screen to maybe think that I should not have hit send), the message disappear thus rendering the working feature useless.

What as gone wrong? Or, what could have happened to prevent this? (note that I am assuming that this is the implementation they choose to do to fulfill my feature request)

It is simple: Get someone involved on the development side at Google to validate the approach they were to take with the customer.

Doing so would have allowed them to:

Understand my goal
  • I need the ability to cancel sending an email.
Understand my motivation
  • I sometime use the wrong tone in an email, I get excited, I need time to cool down before I realize I may have said something the wrong way.
Understand my workflow
  • I need the period to be longer than 5 or 30 seconds, I need 10 minutes.
  • This above implies that I cannot rely on the last action "undo" link there is for everything else.
This is so simple that it is pathetic that they do not do it. This is something that is important and a lesson that we made a loooooong time ago at Macadamian: validate your understanding with your customers/users so you reduce the risk of mistake at the soonest possible time.

Now if someone at Google can read this an start interacting with their customers it would make my day.

5 comments:

Mr. Miyagi said...

You're so right. I felt this feature was poorly executed as well. As much gmail is trying to differentiate themselves from Outlook, they could still learn a few things. I can't even think of how many times I've went to my Outlook outbox to revise a message before it actually sends. I love that 'grace period' and it seems like it would be easy for them to interpret your request and execute better than this short-lived 'undo' link.

Sylvain St-Germain said...

Amen Bro!

Spork said...

First off, anything related to the labs features will tell you they're experimental, use-at-your-own-risk features that are in development. If something generates enough interest, it gets stabilized and ceases to be a labs feature, but a product or part of a product in and of itself.
Secondly, TEN MINUTES?! Are you mad? I sometimes send 5 or more emails back and forth with someone in 10 minutes when deadlines are close. What you're suggesting would make that 10 minutes of conversation take an hour and a half instead of 10 minutes. Just save it as a draft and send it later.
Also, if you like your pop client better than the web interface, you can easily access your gmail via pop.
Where this feature shines is when you, like I and many others do, click send, then think "oh man, I forgot to _______!". With undo send enabled, when the next page loads, you hit undo, and fix it.

duisendpoot said...

The undo send feature performs just what the name "undo send" advertises.

It should be used when
1) you clicked the send email button by mistake
2) you spot or remember missing email content right after clicking send email
3) You spot the wrong recipient/subject line after clicking send email

It is not an "recall sent email" feature. If you want a cool-down period and possibly numerous emails for which sending need to be delayed, simply save it as a draft like Sporkonabike suggests.

Sylvain St-Germain said...

@sporkonabike

You are right that it solves the problem of catching a sent by mistake thing...

This feature could bring more to the user by recognizing an additional need to hold on longer than seconds.

While I use email a lot, when I have several back and forth in 10 minutes with the same individual, I pick up the phone.

Thanks for your comment.